Tuesday, May 02, 2006

I'm green...

... with envy.

My friend HODAR recently had a treasure trove of long guns fall into his lap.

Top to bottom:

1. Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 ga. Shotgun
2. Browning Auto-5 16 ga. Shotgun
3. Winchester Model 1890 (chambered in .22 long... not long rifle) pump action"Gallery Gun" (It is a Model 3 and was produced in 1914) see: http://twoponies.home.mindspring.com/model_differences.htm
4. Colt "Colteer 1-22" bolt action single shot (chambered in .22 LR)
5. Winchester Model 37 20 ga. Shotgun



Those things look like they're in absolutely pristine condition. Dang. If I weren't so enthralled, I'd cuss him for his luck. Last time I checked, nobody was handing me down five pristine long-guns, steeped in steel-and-polished-wood-history. Bah.

Truth be told, I've got a .30-.30 from my Dad, a .22 High Standard revolver and a .22 lever-action Marlin rifle (on loan) from my in-laws which I value greatly (that Marlin is one of my favorite guns to shoot, actually).

Hopefully I'll be able to work in a trip down to see him to check these beauties out in person.

It's refreshing to see that there are still men who find sentimental value in their fathers' old guns. What better symbols of art-meets-tool and American independence have we? They are, indeed, family treasures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home