Thursday, April 20, 2006

Honor

I try to keep my trap shut when it comes to Cindy Sheehan. Mostly, I think it's absolutely shameful that she uses her son's casket as her personal anti-war soapbox. On the other hand, I've never seen combat, and certainly never lost a loved one in war, and (generally), I fully support her right to protest and to speak her mind.

When it comes down to it, though, I think dead soldiers shouldn't be used as political pawns. The fact that they sacrificed - when the rest of us didn't - should be honored, and it should be left at that. If you want to protest the war - fine. Just leave dead soldiers out of it.

The whole issue strikes a real chord with me, since I've been utterly fascinated with all-things-military for as long as I can remember. I'm not naive enough to see war as honorable, but I'm certain there is honor to be found in the warrior.

Part of this post nearly brought me to tears:

http://gatewaypundit.blogspot.com/2006/04/busted-cindy-sheehans-story-hits-snag.html


Here is another example of how our military treats its fallen soldiers.



The night before the burial of her husband's body, Katherine Cathey refused to leave the casket, asking to sleep next to his body for the last time. The Marines made a bed for her, tucking in the sheets below the flag. Before she fell asleep, she opened her laptop computer and played songs that reminded her of 'Cat,' and one of the Marines asked if she wanted them to continue standing watch as she slept. "I think it would be kind of nice if you kept doing it," she said. "I think that's what he would have wanted."

Todd Heisler The Rocky Mountain News

Casey Sheehan, your sacrifice is not forgotten. Rest in Peace.
Nearing graduation from high school, I came within a day of enlisting in the Marine Corps. My parents were quietly furious. I can't say exactly why I didn't go through with it -- college expectations, cowardice, and a prayer all had something to do with it. I have never stopped wondering how my life may have been different had I stepped up. To this day - every day - military enlistment crosses my mind - even though I'm in my early 30s, and too old for the Marines.

Regardless of my decision, though, I've always had the greatest respect for those who serve. We would do well to honor their sacrifice, and to never tarnish that honor, even in the heat of politics and protest.

h/t to Xavier for the link: http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/04/sometimes.html

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home