Friday, January 27, 2006

Man Purse

I was going to call this post "Options", but that wouldn't be nearly as fun.

One of the biggest "issues" for someone who shoulders the responsibility of carrying a gun is .... how best to carry it. That can be much more problematic than you think, if you've never actually done it (carried a concealed weapon) more than once.

Most people (myself included) - men, anyway - carry in a "strong-side" holster. It works pretty well, but has a few drawbacks. There are other options, of course - small-of-the-back holster, shoulder holster, ankle holster (unless you carry a real ... um, I mean, full-size handgun), or the dreaded fanny-pack. Most of these could be considered "alternative" methods of carry; you might utilize one or more of these for a specific situation. For most of us, most of the time, though ... it's just the good ol' holster.

Since I work from home, a holster works for me the vast majority of the time. I don't have to bother with concealment (unless the mail lady or UPS delivers a package, in which case I throw on a vest or jacket, so as to not induce panic...). and a leather holster is probably the most comfortable, lowest-maintenance way to carry a handgun.

I do, however, get in situations in which a holster isn't the best option. For starters, if I'm going out to run errands, and I'll be going to the Post Office, the Para isn't coming with me (I'm NOT going to be a felon. I wouldn't do well in prison ... without my gun).

Aside from that, travelling in the car wearing a holster hardly makes for a comfortable trip.

If I'm going somewhere I can't take my gun, or if I'll be in the car for more than an hour, or if I'm headed out to cut wood, the hoster isn't the best option. For starters, it would be uncomfortable or would get in the way. Aside from that, in those situations, I'm probably bringing other stuff with me. I've been looking for an alternative mode of carry for some time.

Enter the Maxpedition Jumbo Versipack. It's a man-bag. Or a man-purse. Whatever. It has a gun in it, so I'm not too worried about my manhood when carrying it.

















Maxpedition has been making nylon products for the military for some time, and it shows. Right out of the box, it's clear this little pack is tough as nails. It could probably count as a weapon in and of itself, if you hit someone hard enough with it.

It goes over the shoulder, and across the chest. It's got lots o' pockets. Padded shoulder strap: check. Key clips - the works. This sucker is burly, and it's in the oh-so-tactical "coyote" tan that makes me all giggly.


















Did I mention it has a gun in it?

The cool thing about the Maxpedition packs is that they market it to shooters. The Jumbo's "pistol" pocket has 2 velcro "loop" strips horizontally situated in it. To go with the Jumbo, I bought the universal pistol holster, and a 3-slot holster which holds a Surefire light and spare 14-round mag for the Para (mmmmmm ..... 14 rds. of .45 ACP ........ ) The velcro strips allow you to put in the holsters so that the pistol grip stays properly oriented (grip up), and the light and mag don't rattle around. Genius.

Oh, and you did count right - I only have 2 things in the 3-slot holster. A full-sized handgun and 3 additional things just won't work in that space. I had to stick to 2, shall we say, accessories.

My main motivation for getting this pack is that it allows me to legally "conceal" my handgun when travelling through the states I normally go through to visit family and friends (KY, TN, VA and NC) - all of which honor my KY CCW permit. That way, I can carry legally, and I don't loose circulation to my right leg by the end of the trip because of a holster cutting off my circulation. And all the garbage I care to bring along goes in the pack, too. Voila!

I'm still toying with it right now, but the design seems to work really well. I'm carrying stuff around in it just to see how well it works and how comfortable it is (no complaints thus far). As of now, here's what's in it: pistol, mag, Surefire light, M-6 light, headlamp (I have no idea why I need so many lights...), book. first aid kit, chemlights, shit tickets, emergency blanket, vet wrap, compass, whistle, pad & pen, wallet, sunglasses, cell phone, 7X monocular, multi-tool. It even has a separate pocket for a Nalgene-sized bottle. Carries it all without a hitch.

















You'd fit right in carrying this pack around if you live in an urban setting. Since I live out in the country, it looks a little weird. The book helps, since I can show up early for lunch with Miss Fluffy and pull out the book (the pistol pocket is separate, so nobody sees your gun if you get something out of the main pocket) and hopefully I just look like some neurotic nerd with his small bookbag. Of course, I don't necessarily intend for it to be my everyday carry method, but with all the bells & whistles, this pack could certainly do it all. I'm sure there's room in there for the kitchen sink...

1 Comments:

Blogger miss fluffy said...

My boy would be the only one to think he needs to carry 50 lights... but he'll also be the one with 49 friends without lights. And he'll rib you just before he hands you one.

On the other hand, my boy would be the only one to think he needs to carry the kitchen sink. I haven't yet figured out why... although I guess the involvement of the word "purse" might just require it... =)

2:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home