Sunday, December 04, 2005

My hat is off...

... to one of my few friends (who has been my closest friend for quite some time now) for getting his concealed-carry permit.

(Alpineman pauses for roars of approving applause to die down...)

Now, I'd probably get on my blog & go on & on about anybody I know if he got his permit, but any parrot can be taught to repeat the party line. This dude is different. The thing that makes me appreciate the fact that this guy took the step to get his permit is the fact that he may very well be the last person I thought would do something like that. Frankly, though, I'm ashamed of stereotyping him like that. He has truly come to this conclusion himself - on his own. He has stepped up, asked questions, weighed his options, thought it out, and took the course of action he felt was best. That's a thinking man, folks... and I'm ten times more pleased to see someone get a gun and a permit to carry it when that person has considered the option logically and acted on their conclusions. In today's gun-fearing society, that takes guts.

His actions give me the teensy-tiniest bit of hope for our society. If a man (or, certainly, a woman, for that matter), can consider the idea of owning and carrying a gun with an open mind - well, that's a big step in and of itself. This guy has taken a big step - and he's done so boldly. I saw his body language the first couple of times he handled a gun. To say he was "uncomfortable" with it would be quite the understatement. But for someone like that to go from discomfort with a gun to owning one and getting a permit to carry it (and doing so P.D.Q.) entails a degree of growth that I don't often see in people.

Oh, and he shoots his Springfield XD .40 very well. As Mr. T would say, I pity the fool who decides to invade that home.

As The Gun Guy K.d.T. would say, time for The Happy Dance!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home