Friday, March 31, 2006

I didn't anticipate this...

... but there are WAY more fun things to do in Vegas than gamble. For example: renting a belt-fed machinegun.

You heard me right.

Belt. Fed. Machinegun.

I had the opportunity to rent an FN M249 Minimi Squad Automatic Weapon. I got 40 rounds of frangible 5.56mm NATO. It lasted all of 15 seconds. It was worth every cent.


And just in case you thought I just sprayed and giggled -- I got every round in the center-mass at 15 yards (from a bipod, FWIW).

Now, my first reaction at paying nearly $50 for 15 seconds of total glee was, "geez ... that's kinda steep". That is, until they pointed out the fact that an M249 - should you actually be able to find one on the market - will cost you somewhere between $50.000 to $75,000 and up, depending on the condition of the weapon.

That's actually a pretty good lesson on gun control and economics. The 1986 gun law which forbids people like you and me owning a fully automatic weapon manufactured after that year didn't ban the ownership of machineguns. It just made it a big hassle to get one .... and it drove the prices into the stratosphere, since it limited the pool of guns available to the citizenry. The average moonbat's interpretation of the term "regulate" makes me want to vomit.

But I digress.

When you think about it, what would it cost you to rent a $50,000 car? I bet it'd be a heck of alot more than $50. And there'd be more paperwork, too.

You can hardly see the weapon in the picture, thanks to my bald head and the very attentive range safety officer (which I don't say to be a turd ... he was a super nice guy. Heck, if I owned an M249, nobody else would be allowed to breathe on it, much less rent it!) Check out a video of this and other toys here: http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/tourvideo.htm

More Vegas pictures & spew to come....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home