Tuesday, March 07, 2006

I've gotta see this

... and not just 'cause Natalie Portman is in it. (Hair. No hair. Don't care. Natalie --- alpineman liiiike....)

V For Vendetta, at least according to what I've seen, looks like a thinly-veiled 1984 screenplay. Anyone who knows anything about me knows how important a book I think 1984 is. If you haven't read it -- go thou and do so immediately. You'll never look at a "security" camera the same way again.

The fact that 1984 isn't taught in schools anymore is part of the reason our society can't tell the difference between a "security" camera and the so-called "Patriot Act". We're left to rely on the "news", which has no interest in the similarities. "Security" cameras just don't make for good "stories".

Actually, 1984 was far more relevant to me as an adult living in a post-9/11 world than it would have been had I read it in high school. That and the 9/11 Commission Report totally altered my worldview. Both should be required reading as Civics 101 for the real world.

But I digress...

With a slogan like, "People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." ... how can I resist this film?

It's also going to be shown in IMAX theatres. I may have to pay my good friend HODAR a visit when it's released so we can see it at the Discovery Place planetarium. (There's nowhere else to see an IMAX film, frankly -- projecting a movie of that size in the planetarium wraps the screen around you -- there's no other movie-viewing experience like it, anywhere - hands down.)

Oh, and did I mention Natalie Portman is in it?

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home