Friday, January 06, 2006

Some guys trick out their cars...

I trick out my guns. Mostly my beloved Bushmaster AR-15. With all due respect to Ralphie ... the best Christmas gift I ever received, or would ever receive.

My most recent additions include , first of all, a rubber butt-pad. My AR is the "house gun". That is, it stays propped up by the bed, just in case things go "bump" in the night. The rubber butt pad keeps the rifle from sliding on the hardwood floor (and going "bump" in the night, ironically...), and it also makes the rifle more secure on the shoulder when aimed.

















The other addition is one I've been considering for some time: an ambidextrous safety. For those of you who read that and said, ".... huh?..." -- that means I now have the ability to control the rifle's safety with either hand. Stock rifles typically come with a safety switch which can only be manipulated with the right hand. Now I can manipulate it with either hand.

















Frankly, I think many gun owners don't think realistically about what will happen if they have to use their gun to defend themselves in their own home. In this case, the ambi-safety allows me to "corner" with the rifle to either shoulder - an essential component since my house came with ... well, ... corners. And corners come in left-hand AND right-hand varieties.

So, this weekend, take your gun (you DO have a gun .... don't you?) and practice "cornering" with it. The scenario goes like this: something goes "bump" in the night. You first work on working the "corner" of your bedroom doorway (or any corner of your home, for that matter) as if the threat was coming from the left of that doorway. Now work on it with the "threat" coming from the right. See why an ambidextrous safety switch is a good idea? (For that matter, see why the ability to "corner" with your home defense weapon is a good idea?) Threats won't always come from your strong side, you know...

Oh, and I picked up 2 more Bushmaster magazines. When you shoot a semi-automatic gun, good mags are a must. Bushy makes quality mags. There's no such thing as too many good mags. I rotate mine every 30 days (I keep 3 mags loaded at any one time ... 90 rounds of .223 WILL take care of any problem I might possibly have...) Unloading the mags in rotation will hopefully keep the springs from wearing out prematurely.


1 Comments:

Blogger miss fluffy said...

YOUR beloved AR? Don't you forget who passed the background check to purchase that beloved AR! =)

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home