Saturday, December 31, 2005

Some New Year's Spew...

... um, I mean ... thoughts.

I'm not going to make any silly New Year's resolutions involving weight loss (not a bad idea, though) or anything like that.

What I do want is to try and be more mindful of how I think I should live as an American. Kind of the, "damn-the-torpedoes-full-speed-ahead" attitude. Our country was founded by rum-running, gun-toting radicals who weren't exactly inclined to pay their taxes. (That's not to suggest that I'm going to quit paying my taxes ... I don't think I'd do very well in prison...)

Rather, I think we've largely lost sight of the kinds of people who founded this country, and the kind of country they intended it to be. Those men were brash. They took risks. They craved liberty - true liberty. The kind that entailed consequences. We'd all do well to step outside our little boxes and take some risks, and if go down, we go down in flames.

Personally, I'm going to have some changes coming up in 2006 - mainly involving my job. I don't know what I'm going to do. But when I make my decision, I hope I'll do the right thing.

I don't think people who live truly happily, or who really love what they do, take the easy way out. They take a risk. I'd like to believe I have the spine to do the same.

With that in mind, some inspirational quotes:

"Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" -- Patrick Henry

"...you may all go to hell and I will go to Texas." -- Davy Crockett
(No, I'm not moving to TX, but you get the idea...)

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." -- John Wayne

"The Egyptians could run to Egypt, the Syrians into Syria. The only place we could run was into the sea, and before we did that we might as well fight. " -- Golda Meir
(Gun owners take note)


And one of my all-time favorites:

"Never tell me the odds..." -- Han Solo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home