Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I got a new gun...

... and eventually, I'll stop ranting about the "news" long enough to tell you about it.

Right now, though, I'm livid at some snotty talking head on the Commie "News" Network who's lobbying for "performance" based teacher pay. What tripe. The very idea makes me want to vomit.

Teachers are rare enough as it is. Why drive more of them out of the classroom by making them subject to the failings morons into whose heads they're trying to beat some smarts? A teacher is only part of the equation. The issue we're dealing with in America's schools goes WAY deeper than teachers. Frankly, society as a whole is the problem. I want to say that kids nowadays don't want to learn .... but I didn't particularly want to learn when I was in school, either. But I had parents who made me go to school, and who I knew would tar & feather me (after spanking the snot out of me) if I didn't behave at school. They wanted to see my report card. If I made bad grades, they demanded to know why I wasn't doing my homework or studying harder. They DID NOT demand to know why my teacher(s) had "failed". For those of you who may have forgotten, that's an illustration of the ancient art of teaching kids to be responsible for their behavior.

Both my parents grew up poor as dirt. They both went to one-room schools, with all the grades in one room, only one teacher, and I'm willing to bet their teachers had absolutely no "certification" to speak of. They had no computers (or air conditioning, for that matter). They both went to college and ended up quite successful, thank you very much. That had absolutely nothing to do with the dazzling performance of their teachers. It had everything to do with parents who made sure their kids went to school, behaved, and learned something. It had everything to do with parents who insisted that their kids did better.

No person with a doctorate can make a little brat learn if there's no support from parents. Schools can't teach 1984 anymore. They can't spank little brats for getting out of line. You want to advocate performance-based teacher salaries? Spend half a day at a "low-country" South Carolina school. Imagine yourself in the teacher's shoes. Then consider advocating spanking in schools instead.

Teachers ARE NOT surrogate parents. Stop forcing that role on them, and stop wondering why no one wants to be a teacher anymore. The blame lies with parents who think they can make teachers straighten out their mess, and with society which allows that to become the norm.

Time for my Intermediate Welding class. Maybe enough flame and molten metal will calm me down. If I screw up my welding tonight, can I blame my instructor? Hmmm.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home