Tuesday, September 27, 2005

What do we really expect...

... of FEMA? I was watching tidbits of the televised thrashing of former FEMA director Michael Brown today, and it occurred to me: do we have realistic expectations of FEMA? Do we have realistic expectations of our state and local governments' abilities to respond to ANY kind of problem, for that matter?

One of the criticisms I've heard leveled at FEMA in response to hurricane Rita was the horrible traffic people faced trying to evacuate coastal Texas. With that in mind, here's my theory: I've driven rush-hour interstates throughout the Southeast. I'll use Columbia, SC as an example. I used to have to brave the I-20/I-26 interchange every day to and from work. Every day, without fail, traffic would slow to a crawl. A stalled car on the side of the road would often cause traffic to stop. Now, if traffic can't flow adequately on an average interstate on an average day, what on earth do we really expect FEMA to be able to do to speed things up for people fleeing a hurricane? Should they outlaw rubber-necking and bumper-to-bumper traffic to expedite things? Puh-leez.

For one thing, I'm tired of the FEMA-bashing. Yeah, it took 'em a couple of days to show up in New Orleans. As I've stated before, if ANYONE was paying attention after 9/11, they TOLD YOU it would be that way. Besides, considering the unbearable stupidity of the New Orleans mayor and the paralytic incompetence of the Louisiana governor, I wouldn't want to have to clean up after those two on an ordinary day ... much less after a hurricane. You want coordination? You want leadership? Paging Mr. Giuliani....

Despite what I just said, I don't feel all that sorry for FEMA, either. I think Brown was utterly incompetent ... and totally unqualified to head FEMA. But I think that's beside the point. FEMA can't walk on water (oh, I say such profound things...) Their job is to coordinate a disaster response ... not to work miracles. I think our expectations are too high, especially considering what FEMA had to work with (i.e. nothing) in New Orleans. After a Category 4 hurricane hits your city, and then 80% of it remains underwater, your local government can no longer be expected to help you. Neither can your state government. Neither can FEMA. Look, all the State Police in the world can't stop people from driving like idiots. Giuliani, despite his unparalleled leadership, couldn't stop the planes or keep the towers from falling. All he could do was stand up, take responsibility and clean up the mess. That's more than can be said for anyone at the local, state or federal levels after Katrina. But FEMA can't work miracles, either. Wake up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home