Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A great quotation...

... from "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv (Copyright 2005 by Richard Louv, Published by Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill). Louv is evidently a bit of a progressive/hippy, which irritated me sometimes, but his utopian leanings aside, the book is excellent. Even as a more individualist/Libertarian leaning cockeyed grouch, I generally agreed with most of his points in the book. In a nutshell, it's about the impact of modern, urbanized society on children, and how the resulting separation from nature is ... well ... bad. He states it much more gooder than that, but you get the point.

Anyway, to the quote (or quotation ... Mom hates it when people misuse the term, and suddenly I can't remember which is correct... but I digress ..... again...):

In the chapter entitled To Be Amazed, the author writes about spirituality and nature. He interviewed a gentleman named Seth Norman, who talked about nature and kids, and how he tried to teach his stepson to appreciate nature, but not to "romanticize or deify" it. Norman said, "Grasping the Grand Scheme is demanding for adults; for kids raised on Disney, it's simply shocking to discover that it takes a bunch of Bambis to feed a Lion King, and that Mowgli's wolves would eat Thumper and all his sibs."

Profound.

I knew there was some reason why I could never stand Disney.

Anyway, the book is great. Go buy it. Personally, it took me way to long to finish it, and now I need to let some people borrow it.

On a side note, Mom let me borrow the book. I let her borrow the 9/11 Commission Report. I bet I finished my reading first...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home