Thursday, August 14, 2008

Canned quotes

I had CNN on the other day while I was making the bed, and the spray-tanned talking head was interviewing a "law enforcement expert" who threw out 3 canned comments that I've come to hate. The statements are paraphrased:

"Nothing good goes on after 11pm. Nobody needs to be on the streets at that hour." He was commenting on some Arkansas town which now has a curfew because of increasing violent crime. Screw you, pal -- I work nights. 11pm is early afternoon for me. Wal Mart and other businesses are open 24 hours for people like me. Hell, I hung laundry on the clothesline at 4am today. My schedule isn't the same as yours, and that doesn't make me a criminal and it doesn't make me sorry. Curfews are a pathetic response to other failures of law enforcement and the justice system. Children are told when to go to bed. Adults aren't.

"If you don't have anything to hide, you don't have anything to worry about." I'm not sure of the context in which he said that. Yeah, never mind that pesky 'ol privacy thing, because you carry a badge and I can trust you, right? Screw you, pal. Your police cruiser should be tracked at all times by GPS and you need surveillance cameras in the car that watch you at all times. Because you don't have anything to hide, right?

And my favorite: "People don't use guns like that to protect themselves." He had gone off on a tangent about a suspect being found with several AK clones in his house. I keep an AK clone around to protect myself. I keep it around because that commie 7.62 will trump pretty much anything that is unfortunate enough to make it past my locked door. I keep it around because it will help me to protect myself effectively, while the cops will show up after the fact. It's the best tool in the toolbox for home defense. I'm a nurse. I do things to serve my community. Having an AK clone in my home says very little about my character. If anything, it says I'm quite capable of taking care of myself ... because the cops may very well not be around when things go rodeo. Oh, and he made some reference to the idea that AKs "on the street" mean the cops are outgunned. That's the idea. That badge doesn't make you more of a citizen than I am, pal, and crime statistics don't change the Bill of Rights. As an LEO, you're a public servant. Check your attitude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home