Monday, December 18, 2006

Pain & Irony

Took a backpacking trip this weekend with the mighty HODAR. We did a section of the Appalachian Trail from Sam's Gap at the TN/NC line and went north to Spivey Gap in TN. The description of the route labeled it "very difficult."

No joke.

That section of the trail goes over 3 peaks - Bald Mtn., Big Bald & Little Bald. The views were spectacular from the top of Big Bald, but we had to earn it. We had over 3,000 ft. of elevation gain and loss over 13 miles in 2 days. I swear, it felt like it was uphill both ways. It was a good trip, but I'm beat. I slept over 9 hours last night. My butt is so chafed it hurt to walk last night.

I broke in my new Mountain Hardwear Annapurna tent, which worked well. It's almost exactly like my old Sierra Designs Tiros Expedition tent, but with more storage and some better features. The rain fly is a weird, thin, crinkly material. It worked very well in that we were warm, but I'll be skeptical of the fly until I get rained on (which isn't to suggest I'm looking forward to that.)

Part of the trail skirted a development of new homes -- what looked to me like mountain "trophy" homes -- on the ridge tops around the balds. Tacky. On a sign designating a spring, some hippy had scrawled:

The rich destroy the most beautiful things

Yeah, and dirty, self-righteous hiker-hippies can't help but deface trail signs with graffiti.

Which is tackier?

Am I the only one choking on the irony?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say the latter, atleast the rich have the trophey home to enjoy the outdoors. The self-righteous hippie is destroying it is CFC's from that spay paint that he/she is using to spay the sign with.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home