Friday, September 01, 2006

Clinicals

I had my first day of clinicals at the county hospital today. Having been a patient in so many situations so many times, I felt a little weird being on the other side of things.

Honestly, though, I really enjoyed it. Researching the chart of the patient I was assigned in order to formulate a care plan was really interesing.

Like every "first day", it felt hectic, and I was more concerned with not causing a disaster than I was with learning a whole lot. Of course, none of the students were assigned patients who were really ill -- they don't want to scare us off right away.

I'll have some clinical rotations at area nursing homes in the coming months as well. The only other nursing home experience I've had was during Nurse Aide clinicals, so I'm not sure if it's valid to say this, but I liked the hospital environment much more. I'm more attracted to the idea of working with patients who are going to be discharged and who can go home and get back to their lives. Don't get me wrong -- it's not like I don't see the value in nursing home work, but right now I feel more positive about the hospital.

The only downside of clinicals is -- I hate having to wear all white.

1 Comments:

Blogger Xavier said...

Congratulations Alpineman!

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home